Friday, June 24, 2011

From Potty Mouth to Potty Training

Two posts in one day is a lot for me, but this just happened, so what better time to write about it. I've said before how potty training was pretty easy with my first two kids. Trouble just turned 2, and has been sitting on the potty for a minute here and there, but nothing serious. Tonight his diaper wasn't very wet when I was getting him ready for bed, so I sat him on the potty. He sat and sat, laughed, sang a song, and played with the little splashguard that they have for little boys. I decided to brush his teeth while he sat, to take his mind off the task at hand, and maybe get him to go. He jumped up and climbed up on the stool in front of the sink for a drink after we finished his teeth.

Right then, my husband handed me the phone to talk to my grandmother, who is on a trip out of state. I'm a pretty good multitasker, so I can handle talking to her and putting a 2 year old in a diaper and jammies at the same time. We walked into his room while I was on the phone. I grabbed a diaper and took his hand to turn him around to the spot where I could lay him down to put his diaper on. He pulled his hand away and made this face, and before I could even process what was happening, he started peeing on his rug. I don't know how he did it, but he peed in a perfect question mark on the floor. I wish I had taken a picture, but I couldn't ask my grandmother to hold on so I could get the camera and take a picture of a pee spot on my son's floor. That just didn't seem right. Thankfully I was able to get off the phone without telling her what happened. I know from potty training experience not to get mad at the trainee or make them think they did something wrong. Trouble said, "Uh-oh Mommy. I pee. I sorry Mommy.". How can I be upset with someone who says "I sorry"? In context that would have been a good place for him to interject 'Damn it', but he seems to have left that phase. I have a feeling I am in for a looooong road of potty training with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment