Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Catching up

It's been a while since I have blogged. This is because I never get on the real computer. Sadly, I've become addicted to the iPad. I tried blogging from it, but the pictures get uploaded weird and turn out too big on the blog. So, I'm going to play catch up for a few minutes now. 

My last post prior to the one about Superchunk hitting six months today, was at the end of July. August is almost over, and this summer has flown by! August first I started my job search. Blah! We knew I was going to have to go back to work at the end of the summer. A family of seven can't live off of one income. My husband worked a part time job last school year. Now that I'm finally not pregnant and able to work, it's my turn. I debated going back to work full time, but my entire salary and then some would go toward child care. Totally not worth it. So, I started applying for part time jobs. It was easy to talk about going back to work. It was easy to plan schedules around a potential job. Getting a job and actually working it and working those schedules is another story entirely. My first interview was entirely nerve-wracking. I hadn't worked since June 12, 2009. I hadn't interviewed anywhere since August of 2006. I was sweaty-palms nervous about this interview. For a part time job. But hey, an interview is an interview, right? It went really well. And I wanted to work the morning shift at this job. I'm talking 5am to 9am. E.A.R.L.Y. But I was willing to do it to be home for the kids the rest of the day and evening. The interview was on a Thursday and I was supposed to get a call that weekend about a second interview. In the meantime, I had another interview at a department store, and I was hired on the spot. It was so strange, I was nervous for the interview, and the next thing I knew, I was filling out new hire paperwork. I was happy to have a job, but not so happy about the pay. But, a job is a job and I should be happy to have one. After my next interview at the first place, they said they'd call in a week or so about new hires. We're still in that time frame, so I'm not sure what's going to happen there. I had to start the other job last night. I was actually ok with it. I definitely teared up leaving the house after I said goodbye to the kids. I was sad because I was going to miss Pirate's first soccer practice. I missed dinner and bedtime too. But my husband is an amazing person, and has no problem taking care of everything himself. The night went well at work because it was just training, sitting in a conference room watching videos and reading a handbook. I did enjoy it though. I hope to continue the enthusiasm once I start really working. I'm giving up weekends and evenings at home to work, but I need to remind myself to be thankful that I'm still home with the kids during the day. In two years, the plan is for me to get a full time day job. The three oldest kids will all be in elementary school, and the little two will be able to go to preschool all day. We'll tackle that when it's time!

Other than that, August has been more of the same. Summer started to get that "dragging on" feeling. We've slacked on going to the pool. Weekends have been busy with back to school shopping and family birthday celebrations. We were totally into the Olympics for the first week, then got bored with them. The kids have had a few day trips with family members. They are lucky other people take them places because I still don't tackle a lot of outings with all five kids in tow! School starts Monday, and it will be nice to get into a routine with the kids. This week is Pirate's kindergarten orientation. They both have Open House Friday where we can meet the teachers and tour the school. Then Monday I will put them both on the bus together. I am thankful Pirate has his big sister to help him. I worry about my little guy going into that big school all alone!

So, I am here, although I appeared to be MIA for a while. Just a case of not wanting to fight the kids for the computer in this crazy age of electronics! I love the iPad, but it and it's crazy apps suck me in and don't want to let me go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment