Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Preschool days

I love Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Only because those are the days I don't take Evan to school. It becomes a complete and total circus when I take him to and from preschool the other two days a week. Here is how it typically goes.

Around 8 I get the oldest three kids dressed and ready for school. Then we go downstairs and I make them breakfast, which is usually accompanied by whining and complaining about what we have or don't have to eat. While they are eating, I make Reilly and Andrew's lunches. Sometimes I get them ready the night before, but more often than not, I am making them during breakfast. I do have my coffee set at night, so I can just make a cup and drink it while I'm making breakfast and lunch. Most days, two cups of coffee end up being my breakfast. After the kids eat, I send them upstairs to brush their teeth. This usually comes with arguing and whining including "She got to the sink first." or "He's using my toothpaste.". I brush Evan's teeth for him. If I leave him in the bathroom on his own too long, he plays in the toilet water and squeezes toothpaste everywhere. Sometimes he squeezes toothpaste into the toilet water. Then Reilly and Andrew get their shoes on and put their lunches in their book bags. They put on their coats, hats, gloves, and whatever other cold weather accessories they need for the day, usually while complaining about which hat and gloves they are wearing. For the most part, I'm really good at just tuning out all the whining and complaining and I ignore them. At 9:00 we leave for the bus stop. It is one house away, on the corner, so Evan stays in the house when it is cold out, like today when it was a whopping 14 degrees at bus stop time. Once Reilly and Andrew get on the bus, I get Evan's shoes on and sit out his coat, hat, mittens or gloves, and his book bag. I go upstairs and get Grayson and Landon dressed. I bring them both down the steps and put Grayson in his seat at the table and give him his breakfast. While he's eating, I give Landon his bottle. Then I put on both of their coats. If you've never tried wrangling a squirmy 11 month old into a gigantic winter coat, it's almost as much fun as chasing down a 22 month old and holding them still to put on their equally gigantic winter coat. Then we load the van. I take Evan and Grayson out first. Evan climbs into his seat in the back while I buckle Grayson into his carseat. Then I ever-so-gracefully hike my fat butt up into the van to lean into the back and buckle Evan. Then I go back into the house and get Landon, lock the door, and get him into the van. In case you're wondering, it completely sucks trying to buckle three carseats around bulging winter coats. Once I'm in the van, we're off. It takes a total of three minutes to get to preschool. We're late. It's just how we roll. Actually, being late pays off because we get to walk right into the classroom and don't have to wait in the hallway until school starts. Besides, the kids just play for the first 15 minutes, and we're not the last ones there. And I get a better parking spot if I get there after most parents have already left. I have to unbuckle Grayson & Evan, carry G around to the other side of the van, sit him on the floor in front of Landon's seat, stand Evan on the sidewalk, and unbuckle Landon. I carry Landon on my left hip, hold Grayson's hand with my right hand, and pray that Evan doesn't run too far ahead and fall on the sidewalk. We walk to the door, and into the building. Then we have to go up 2 big flights of steps to get to Evan's hallway. We stop to take off his hat and mittens, hang up his coat and book bag, and walk around the corner to his classroom. I sign him in and help him find his name to hang on the board. I grab any papers that have to go home, kiss him good bye, and leave. Sounds easy, right? Except for Grayson screaming the entire time because he wants to stay and play with the broom, and Landon is sliding down my left side because both of our coats are slippery and I have no grip on him. So, I take my circus with me and I'm sure the teacher breathes a sigh of relief when we are out of the room. But I still have to go back down two flights of steps, out the door, and back up the sidewalk to the van, reload the babies and buckle them in, and drive back home, unbuckle and unload the babies and get in the house. The whole process takes up to 25 minutes. It's insane. Evan loves school, though, and he needs time to be around other kids. If we could afford it, I would have him go more days a week, but that money tree has yet to grow... The best part of all this? I get to do it all over again three hours later to pick him up!

It is easier to do the drop off and pick up thing when it's warmer outside. Many of these steps are eliminated when we don't need coats and hats and all that crap. Of course then we get to the point where it's so hot outside that I'm sweating my ass off carrying the kids up and down the steps at the school. But, I'll save those stories for another time!


  1. Your blog cracks me up:) I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Go to my blog & check out the details.

  2. WOW, I am exhausted just reading it. I hope your husband gives you a break now and then. My two boys are a bit more self-sufficient now (ages 9 and 6) but when I see photos of them from preschool, I always swoon at how cute they were (and then I cry at how frazzled and frumpy I looked-- who am I kidding, I still look like that).

    Just found your blog, and will be back to read more!